What is Basis for the 3M Earplug Lawsuit
The men and women who serve in the US military are often exposed to loud noises and they are supposed to be provided with adequate ear protection to lessen the risk of hearing loss. However, many of the standard-issue earplugs manufactured by 3M were defective and placed service members at increased risk of sustaining hearing loss. Here, the Colorado 3M Combat Earplug attorneys at Cannon Law want to discuss the basis for the lawsuits in these cases.
The basic facts surrounding the 3M earplug lawsuit
In 2018, 3M settled a case filed against it by the US Justice Department under the False Claims Act. The company paid $9.1 million dollars to the US government for selling defective standard issue combat earplugs for use by military service members between the years 2003 and 2015. Specifically, the case revolved around the 3M Combat Arms Earplugs Version 2 (CAEv2).
The False Claims Act case against 3M arose due to a qui tam whistleblower complaint made by Moldex-Metric, Inc., a competitor of 3M. The complaint alleged that 3M falsely claimed that their earplugs met the government requirements for use with military personnel while knowing that the product was too short to properly insert in the ears of many soldiers.
However, as a result of this lawsuit, none of the settlement money was allocated to go to military service members or contractors who may have been harmed while using this product. Anyone who sustained hearing loss after using the 3M Combat Earplugs must file a lawsuit of their own against the company to recover compensation.
There have been hundreds of cases filed against 3M by military service members and veterans in federal court. Other cases are expected as knowledge of these defects become more widely available to the public.
Why turn to Cannon Law for help?
After sustaining hearing loss due to defective 3M Combat Earplugs, you need to turn to an attorney with extensive experience handling defective product cases. Cannon Law is ready to get to work on your behalf today.
- We ensure that every client receives individualized attention for their case. We purposely limit our caseloads so we can focus on each and every client in an effort to obtain maximum compensation.
- We have the resources necessary to conduct a thorough investigation into your hearing loss, including obtaining all medical records and evidence of 3M earplug usage.
- We take Colorado 3M earplug cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients pay no legal fees until after we secure the compensation they are entitled to.
Is there any compensation available for these cases?
If you or somebody you love served in the military and sustained hearing loss after using 3M Combat Earplugs, you may be entitled to compensation. At Cannon Law, our skilled and experienced team will investigate your case and work to secure any compensation you may be entitled to, inclusing the following:
- Coverage for any hearing loss medical bills
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity you incur
- Emotional distress damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against 3M, the manufacturer of these earplugs
If you need a Colorado 3M Combat Earplug attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 970-471-7170.