Car Accident Lawyer Cheyenne WY
What happens after my case has been settled?
If you’ve file a personal injury claim with a car accident lawyer you might have many questions, including when you will get your settlement. In fact, this is one of the most frequently asked questions about car accident claims, but it’s not always a straightforward answer. Every case is different and will depend on the insurance company involved in the claim. For example, each carrier may have different procedures with issuing the check.
Furthermore, every medical provider will bill differently and have their own policies and procedures for collecting payments. If you have state health insurance, employer provided insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare, the process can be delayed. Talk to a car accident lawyer in Cheyenne WY from Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC.
The Insurance Company’s Settlement Process
Your car accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to reach a settlement agreement that is fair. Once you accept this offer, the process to receive the money will begin. There are three steps to keep in mind at this point:
- The Check is Issued by the Insurance Company: If you’ve hired a lawyer to pursue a claim on your behalf, usually the check is mailed directly to the law firm. In some situations, you may need to execute the release of the check. After the check is received by your Cheyenne WY car accident lawyer, they may deposit the settlement into a trust account, so be clear on how you will gain access to the money.
- Clearing the Check: Even though you have received the check, the bank still has to clear it. This process usually takes between five and 10 business working days. In general, there is no way around this step.
- Reimbursement: More than likely there are liens on your settlement by medical providers and insurance companies to whom you owe payment for services already rendered to you. Your car accident lawyer in Cheyenne WY can discuss this with you in further detail, but generally the following parties will need reimbursement:
- Medical Providers: In 99% of cases you will need to reimburse your medical providers, especially if there is a lien on your treatment. In general when medical providers provide lawyers with your records at no cost, there is a lien. If they charge your lawyer for records, there is usually no lien. It doesn’t necessarily mean you are not responsible for paying your bill, but rather that there is no lien which is like a title on your car.
- Your Lawyer: If your case was taken on contingency, your car accident lawyer in Cheyenne WY will also take from the settlement their portion of legal fees. You should have an idea of what this will cost based on the original agreement
If your settlement is not enough to cover your bills and accumulated expenses, your lawyer may consider a pro-ration. Although only available in certain states, a pro-ration allows you to pay for a portion of the settlement to medical providers with a lien. Another portion goes to the lawyer and the final portion to you.
State Health Insurance, Medicaid, and Medicare: If any of these insurers have covered your medical treatment, your lawyer will likely need to contact them to find out what is owed. This is often mandatory and can delay the release of your funds.
Health Insurance: Depending on the insurance plan you have, you may or may not need to reimburse the company.
Child Support: If you owe any back child support, regardless of the state it is owed in, you will need to pay this.
If you did not have a lawyer, you will need to handle these things on your own. There is a lot of room for mistakes during this process and it could cause significant troubles.
If you would like to file a personal injury claim or divide up a settlement that you negotiated on your own, call a car accident lawyer from Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC.
A Car Accident Lawyer Cheyenne WY Respects
Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC is the kind of car accident lawyer Cheyenne WY families count on for reliability, honesty, and a successful outcome. Having decades of experience and a passionate drive to get justice, we are a law firm who proudly boasts a zealous reputation in Cheyenne, WY and Fort Collins, CO. Whether you have suffered broken bones, a head injury, or wrongful death, we are ready to listen to your story. For a consultation with a Cheyenne car accident lawyer who cares, please call Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC.
Injuries Commonly Sustained in Car Collisions
Although there are thousands of crashes every day across America, each car accident will be inherently unique. Some result from the fault of the driver and others are the result of another driver’s negligence or wrongdoing. Additional factors to take into consideration may be road or weather conditions, as well as faulty parts or road obstacles. Regardless of how the accident happened, the injuries can be devastating which is why it’s prudent to get advice from a car accident lawyer Cheyenne WY offers. Using medical records, photographic evidence, and other tools, a lawyer is able to consider the injuries and make an estimated value of what your case is worth. Examples of injuries that may be eligible for a claim include, but are not limited to:
- Broken bones or sprains
- Muscle, ligament, or tissue injuries
- Head, neck, or spine injuries
- Brain damage
- Internal injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and abrasions
If you have been in an accident, it’s a smart decision to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you think you are okay, there is a risk of internal bleeding or injuries that are not immediately noticeable. The longer you wait, the worse the injury could get. You may also risk losing out on compensation because an insurance company might view your delay as being negligent or that the injury isn’t serious enough for a claim. If the injury is serious, you should consider consulting a car accident lawyer Cheyenne WY victims and their family members recommend in similar circumstances.
After an assessment of your claim, a car accident lawyer in Cheyenne WY may begin to build a solid foundation that defends your devastating injuries. In addition to getting compensation for vehicular damage or other property damage, a lawyer may seek compensation for:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
If you are the loved one of a person who died in a car accident, you may have wrongful death claim. You may be entitled to compensation that covers the costs of the funeral, unpaid medical bills, and more. The sooner you contact a car accident lawyer Cheyenne WY respects, the sooner we can get started on helping you to move on with your life.
Call Cannon Hadfield Stieben & Doutt, LLC
There are statutes of limitations for car accident claims. If you miss this deadline, you may be unable to seek the compensation you deserve. Because it takes time to build a strong case, you may be best served by calling a lawyer as quickly as possible. To schedule a consultation with a car accident lawyer Cheyenne WY has to offer, call today.