Fort Collins Insurance Lawyer
Insurance companies face lawful requirements to exercise good faith and fair dealing with regard to processing and evaluating policyholder claims. When insurance companies act in bad faith, those insured may file a claim to be compensated for any losses incurred. If you believe that you have been the victim of insurance bad faith, contact the Fort Collins car accident lawyers at Cannon Law, today to schedule a free case evaluation. We help Fort Collins area victims of bad faith insurance gain compensation for the harm they suffered.
- We utilize a team-based approach that uses everyone’s strengths together to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- We offer a tailored approach, recognizing that each case is unique. We work with each client to establish goals and keep you informed throughout the process.
- We offer our services on a contingency-fee basis. In other words, you’ll never owe legal fees unless we win a court judgment or achieve a settlement on your behalf.
What Is a Bad Faith Insurance Claim?
Insurance companies all have a duty to exercise good faith under state law. In other words, the law requires them to put the insured’s needs above their own and find a reason to pay out a claim if one exists. If an insurance company unreasonably denies coverage when it should exist, then it acts in bad faith and may be liable for any damages that result. In short, your insurance company has to look after you throughout the claim process.
Examples of Bad Faith Insurance Under Colorado Law
Bad faith insurance laws are extremely complex. However, the Revised Statutes of Colorado outline common examples of bad faith insurance, which may include the following:
- Misrepresenting the facts of an insurance policy
- Failing to act upon communication from the insured
- Failing to assure or deny coverage within a reasonable timeframe
- Refusing to pay claims without a reasonable investigation into the facts
- Failing to effectuate a fair and proper payout when liability is clear
- Attempting to settle a claim for less than what’s due
- Attempting to settle a claim based on an altered application
- Unreasonably delaying payment based on requiring unreasonable documentation
Colorado uses both statutory and relevant case law to handle these types of cases. In other words, the courts will look at both relevant statutes and how previous cases worked in the past to determine if insurance bath faith occurred.
Colorado law allows policyholders to collect twice the unpaid benefit on top of the benefit itself, plus the cost of any attorney’s fees in the event an insurance company acts in bad faith.
Why You Need a Fort Collins Insurance Attorney
Bad faith insurance involves complex matters of law. Further, insurance companies know that the average policyholder has little knowledge of bad faith insurance and will often use this fact to their advantage to pay out less on claims. Sometimes, the simple act of getting an attorney involved will encourage the insurance company to take a claim more seriously.
The insurance attorneys at Cannon Law, work closely with Fort Collins families to assure fair compensation for legitimate insurance claims. If you believe you are receiving the runaround from your insurance company, you might be the victim of insurance bad faith. Our firm has a demonstrated track record for success with these types of cases and hold insurance companies accountable for the money they owe to their policyholders. Contact us to schedule a free review of your legal options today. We offer our services on a contingency-fee basis, so there’s no risk in retaining our services.