Sam Cannon Personal Injury Lawyer Facebook Pixel
Free Consultation | (970) 471-7170
Free Consultation Here

What To Do Following A Car Accident In Denver

The aftermath of a vehicle accident can be a confusing time for everybody involved. While the most important aspect of these cases is securing medical assistance, accident victims also need to think about how best to obtain maximum compensation for their claim.

At Cannon Law, our Denver car accident attorneys want to discuss steps you can take soon after an accident occurs to ensure you are properly cared for.

Important Steps to Take in Your Case

There were more than 22,000 total traffic collisions reported in Denver County during the latest year of data available, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation. Out of these incidents, there were 57 fatal crashes, and more than 4,300 injury crashes. If you are involved in an incident like this, you need to keep the following steps in mind.

  1. Stop and Call 911

    As soon as an accident occurs, you need to stop and pull your vehicle to a safe location. Even if the accident does not seem like a big deal, chances are you need to call the police to report it. Filing an accident report will be critical to documenting the facts of the accident and will be helpful in future injury claims.  There are several helpful tools you can use to help you from this point, and we recommend checking out the Crash Genius app. This app can detect if you have been in an accident and will check to see if you are okay. The app will then guide you through steps to take from that point forward.

  2. Check for Injuries

    If you or somebody else involved in the accident is injured, make sure that EMS is on the way to the scene. If you have sustained an injury, you need to seek medical assistance. Even if it seems like your injuries are minor, you still need to let a doctor perform an evaluation. Many car accident injuries do not show signs or symptoms for days or hours after the incident occurs. For insurance settlements, it is essential that you seek medical care soon after the accident occurs.

  3. Collect Evidence

    If you are able to safely do so at the scene of the accident, you should document the scene. Use your smartphone or another camera to take photographs of any damages to the vehicles, debris lying around, traffic and weather conditions, any personal injuries, and more. Gather the name, driver’s license number, and insurance information of any other driver involved. You should also get the contact information and names of any eyewitnesses to the crash.

  4. Reporting to the Insurance Carrier

    All insurance companies require that you report car accidents soon after they occur, and you should try to do so the day the incident happens. For this initial report, you do not need to go into detail. Just let the insurance carrier know that a crash happened, where it happened, and the name and insurance information of other drivers involved.

  5. Watch out for Quick Settlements

    If you were injured in a traffic accident caused by another driver’s negligence, then their insurance carrier may offer you a quick settlement. While it may seem tempting to take an early settlement, you need to know that initial offers are likely far below what you should be receiving for your case. Never accept a settlement until you know the full costs of your case, and certainly not before you have made a full medical recovery.

  6. Speak to an Attorney

    Early in the car accident process, you should speak to a skilled auto accident lawyer about your case. At Cannon Law, our Denver personal injury lawyers like to get involved in cases as soon as possible so we can work to preserve evidence and conduct a thorough investigation into the incident. Our law firm’s goal is to secure full compensation for your claim, which can include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering damages, and more. When you need a Denver car accident lawyer, you can contact our legal team for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (970) 471-7170.